Translate

Friday, August 9, 2013

Being cooped up stinks!

Hello friends,

Mason is doing ok today.  I can see he's trying to manage his cumbersome head brace as best he can. When out of his kennel for stretches and potty breaks, he tries really hard to rub it off.  He's hearing a lot of NO-NO's as I'm afraid he's twisting his head a bit too much sometimes.  I try to give him extra rubs on his ears and forehead and even some sneaky rubs under his brace at the base of his back.  I believe it's becoming annoying and itchy, just as a cast would be.

Mason really hates his new medicine too.  He's now off the Meloxicam and exclusively on .6mg dose of Gabapentin.  This medicine is given to block nerve pain and is often given as an anti seizure medication.  He may be placed on Prednisone 1.0 mg next week if the doctor feels he would benefit from using it.  Gabapentin is given every 12 hours so at least that one good thing about having to take something you really dislike!

Mason will return to Dr. Jarobe on Wednesday.  Her office called just the other day to explain that they received the additional report from the doctor they asked to take a second look at the MRI.  They will discuss his findings when I'm there.  They stated it did not impact the diagnosis or treatment plan. Mason will also have neuro evaluation again and the doctor will determine whether to remove the splint or replace it.

So for now, Mason is good.  He isn't in pain, he's bored and really wants to play with Peanut.  I believe the kennel rest (it'll be 2 weeks on Sunday), meds and love has made his leg strength and coordination much better, but from what I hear, that is not atypical and is not a sign of miraculous recovery...but I'll take it for now.  I hate hearing and seeing him in pain.

PS...I'm also attaching the xray that was taken 7-30.  I do have the disk of his MRI but the special formatting is not allowing me to download them (over 120 slides).





1 comment:

  1. Hi Kerry and Mason - So glad to hear some news, sweet Mason, such a fighter, but boredom is no fun, expecially for a puppy. By the Dr. reports it sounds like Mason is in the best of hands medical-wise. Thoughts and prayers with you.
    Donamae in Canada

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! We appreciate them!