Translate

Monday, August 5, 2013

Strength...Courage...Hope...

Hello-

Mighty Mason needs your prayers as we received scary medical reports this past week.  Mason has been exhibiting pain symptoms sporadically after waking from sleep for about two months now, but did not show any symptoms when taken into the vet for evaluations.  Perhaps it was his adrenaline kicking in or just the timing was always off.  In any case, Dr. Vernon never saw what I had been seeing and thought that perhaps it was just me overreacting to typical puppy behaviors and whines.  However,  In July, Dr. Vernon finally noticed some tenderness when palpating and manipulating his neck.  He prescribed medicine that seemed to solve the painful episodes for the time being.  

This past Saturday he had a painful night.  He woke several times in crying out in pain and then throughout the day on Sunday.  His pain episodes were long lasting (unlike those in the past that were approx 1-2 minute episodes) and all I could do was try to comfort him in my arms.  Since Dr. Vernon wasn't open on Sunday, I had the longest and most excruciatingly heart wrenching wait with my little guy.  Right away Monday morning I took him in to be evaluated by Dr. Vernon. During this visit, Mason displayed signs and symptoms that I had been trying to convince him of and finally, I felt Dr. Vernon believed me that it was not just "typical puppy crying" or manipulation behaviors.  He watched him walk on the floor and noticed his weakness on the right side and his tipsy walking.  He conducted a few neurological assessments and suggested he may have some abnormalities in his neck/vertebra that would need further assessment.  He recommended a few Neuro's and I decided to make an appointment the next day with the one closest to home.

On Tuesday, Mason met with Dr. Knoeckel at SouthPaws.  Dr. Knoeckel evaluated him and took one x-ray so as to not manipulate his painful neck and not cause further damage.  After reviewing the radiographs, his diagnosis was: Absence of a dens= C1-2 instability.  He discussed two common treatment options: splinting and cage rest for 6-8 weeks, or surgery.   After some discussion that seemed totally hopeless, I was in shock and terribly devastated. I left with little hope in either treatment.   Upon returning home and through tear filled eyes, I scoured the internet for information about his condition searching for something...anything that could help save my little man.   I needed a second opinion and a glimmer of hope...at least.  I found a Dr. in Miami and some success stories online.  I researched other neurologists in the area and finally found Bush Veterinary Neurology Service.  

Dr.  Jarboe met Mighty Mason for the first time today.  I have to say the staff there helped ease my heartache and sadness and Dr. Jarboe helped bring hope to a very dark and scary diagnosis. She shared her expert opinion about the x-ray view and additional things she noticed in the x-ray. She also spent time talking with me about other conditions that could be contributing to his pain. She recommended doing an MRI to find out more and to determine a treatment plan.  Her compassion and understanding helped me breathe...and gave me some hope he could be saved.

I left Mason in the care of Dr. Jarboe and her staff so they could conduct the MRI.  It was the longest three hours of my life.  Thank God, my sister, a director of nursing in Richmond, VA was there to support me.  Her expertise and understanding of all this medical mumbo-jumbo was so much appreciated.  While we were away, she was able to explain the terminology to me in a simplified way-and helped my nerves.

When I returned at 1:30, I could hear Mason's pitiful squeals in the other room...These squeals I knew all too well...not those of a painful pup...those were the squeals of please hold me, don't leave me in this cage...Poor Pitiful Mason...Quite different from the howls, barks and moans of other dogs waiting there too, and most definitely different than his painful cries that break my heart each time they come.  The post-procedure team came out throughout his recovery to reassure me that those were not yelps or cries of pain...they didn't have to.  I knew what those cries were...all too well...and they did give me hope and a little smile through all this sadness.

Dr. Jarboe and her staff returned with Mason all wrapped in a head/neck sling and so excited to see me. What a handsome fellow ready to bust outta there!   Looking somewhat like a turtle in that headdress and a poodle with his new haircut on his legs.  Of course he wasn't whining or yelping or squealing as he was safe and sound tucked in my arms.  She got to work showing me the MRI slides and explaining her observations in detail.  She gave her diagnoses and left me with hope...albeit risky...but hopeful.  

So here's the scary diagnoses:  
1.  Atlanto axial subluxation with aplastic dens and dorsolateral ligamentous hypertrophy
2.  Caudal occipital malformaiton syndrome (COMS)
3.  Atlanto occipital (AO) overlap
4.  Low vlume quadrigeminal diverticulum
5.  Mild dilation of the lateral (LT>RT), third, mesencephalic aqueduct
6.  Bilateral cryptochidism

Prognosis:  50% chance of stabilization with conservative care (splint/cage rest) and risk of permanent paralysis or death.  80% chance for stabilization with surgical stabilization.  20% he would not improve and risk acute death or permanent paralysis.  Likely probability that he may require a second surgery to address his COMS and AO overlap at a later time.  

Soooo....That's scary!  

We'll return to see Dr. Jarboe next Wednesday for a recheck, possible medication adjustments and to change his splint.  At this time we will also discuss further plans for treatment.  

Please...Pray....Give your babies extra hugs tonight!

I'll leave you with a few pictures of Mason that were taken just about a week and a half ago...when my days were so much brighter...
 (Mason ready to go outside!)
(Mason's favorite spot...next to me with his noisy mousie!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! We appreciate them!