Translate

Monday, August 19, 2013

Surgery complete...

Photo taken night before surgery, 8-18-13.
Mason went into surgery today at 9:00 AM EST.  Dr. Jarboe was there to reassure me that she had practiced the surgery at least 20 times in her head since the day it was scheduled.  She told me it is one of the most difficult procedures Neuro Vets will ever do, but she was absolutely ready to go.  As she left to go fix Mighty Mason, she gave me a big hug.  I told her to take care of my baby and she said she would.  She would give me a call by 12:00 to give me an update.  

I left the hospital with my nephew at the wheel and rode home thinking, praying and crying.  We headed over to wait for the news at my parent's house.  Waiting was torture and 12:00 came with no update...Mom said "No news is good news!"  Really?  

Ten minutes later, I got the call.  Mason was out of surgery and doing exceptionally well in recovery. All four legs were moving and he was active.  She said she did not do a CT scan because he was so tiny, but radiographs showed perfect alignment and stabilization of the C1-C2 vertebrae.  She was thrilled with the outcome and said it could not have gone any better.  

She did note that I would see her post-surgery report that upon trying to insert one of the pins, a tiny piece of his vertebrae fractured.  She said she didn't want that to be a concern for me because it is typical in such a tiny puppy.  She said the location of the fracture was in no way impacting the way it would heal or be treated.  She also said that she was able to locate a more dense piece of bone where she installed the pin.  It was cemented in place perfectly.  She is not concerned in the least with this fracture, just wanted to inform me of the details.  

She was impressed and pleased with his post-op recovery as well.  She says he is up and awake and moving all four legs easily.  She placed him on anti anxiety and gastro medications to help ease his tummy during recovery.  Of course, I suppose he is on pain/inflammation meds too.  Dr. Jarboe also stated that if things go as well as they are now, he will most likely be ready to go home tomorrow but she'll discuss that with me tomorrow when she calls at 10:00.  I will feel more comfortable if he stays at the hospital for a longer period of time as it is at least an hour away from home and I want him to be very stable before being discharged.  

Thank you all for your continued support and prayers.  Mason will have a long road to recovery but I will keep you updated every step of the way.  

He truly lives up to his name:  
MIGHTY MASON!!!

2 comments:

  1. I'm happy, have been holding my breathe all day. Kerry, I cried when I read your post, happy tears. Thank you so much for keeping us posted. xxxx from donamae in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's such a relief to hear that everything went well. We love you, Mighty Mason, and we can't wait to read about more of your adventures!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! We appreciate them!